Skip to main content


Q: Do film applicants have to apply to both the College of Motion Picture Arts and Florida State University?
A: Yes. All students interested in the film program are required to submit a full application for admission to FSU, including any documents required by the University, as well as the College of Motion Picture Arts supplemental application. Please note that for the College of Motion Picture Arts both applications are due by same deadline. Please refer to the Important Dates and Deadlines for your specific program deadline.
Q: Do I need to wait to be admitted to the University before I can submit my freshman application to the College of Motion Picture Arts?
A: No! Please do not wait. Both applications for applicants need to be submitted at the same time. Please refer to the Important Dates and Deadlines for your specific program deadline.
Q: I have not taken the SAT, ACT, or TOEFL/IELTS but I am asked to supply the score on the application. Should I wait until I have taken the test before I apply?
A: No, please do not wait. Be aware that tests should be taken by the deadline, but you can apply before having received your scores.  It is recommended that you take the test well before the deadline to ensure receipt of your scores. The scores are required before the University review process begins, and not having the scores can hold your application up from review.
Q: Do transfer applicants have to apply to both the College of Motion Picture Arts and the University?
A: Yes. Transfer students from another institution are required to submit an application for admission to FSU in full, including any documents required by the University, as well as the College of Motion Picture Arts supplemental application. Please note that the application deadlines for the College of Motion Picture Arts differ from FSU’s application deadlines. You must choose one of the College of Motion Picture Arts majors in the University application system to be considered for the College, regardless of whether you have completed the supplemental application yet or not. Both applications should reflect one or both of our majors for consideration.
Because of the number of credit hours required to complete the major, a transfer student can have no more than 66 hours completed at the time of transfer.
Note: Apply as a freshman if you are currently in high school, even if taking college courses. If you are enrolled in a dual-enrollment program and anticipate having enough college credits to earn an associate’s degree, you are also required to apply as a freshman. The application system should automatically direct you toward the correct application, but please contact us at if it directs you to the wrong application.

Q: As a transfer student, do I need to wait to be admitted to the University before I can submit my application to the College of Motion Picture Arts?
A: No! Please do not wait. Both transfer applications need to be submitted by the same deadline, January 5th, 2017.
Q: Are there any individual courses that I am required to take before applying to transfer to the College of Motion Picture Arts?
A: If you have questions about which specific courses will transfer into FSU, you need to contact Emily Burgess, the College's advisor, at  You must include a copy of your unofficial transcript as an attachment in your email.

Q: I am earning my Associates of Arts (AA) Degree from a public college in the state of Florida. Can I apply to the College of Motion Picture Arts?
A: Yes. Students who have completed an AA degree have completed all liberal studies courses needed to transfer into FSU. Students who are interested in transferring into FSU from another college or university need to also apply to Florida State University.
Be aware that you need a general AA degree in order to be a successful transfer candidate for admissions. AS or AAS degrees generally don’t have the same requirements and students with those degrees are often missing requirements needed to transfer into our program. The only degree that will transfer into the program is an AA degree.

Q: I am a current freshman at FSU wanting to transfer into the College. How do I apply to transfer majors?
A: Current FSU students only need to submit just the College’s supplemental application in order to be considered for our major. We also recommend you make an appointment with Emily Burgess, the College’s academic advisor, to see what classes are still needed to transfer. Students can email Emily at to set up an appointment for advisement.

Q: I don’t have an undergraduate degree in filmmaking or film studies. Can I still apply to the MFA in Production?

A: Yes! A bachelor's degree and a 3.0GPA are our only prerequisites for the MFA program, and many of our graduate students earned their bachelor’s degree in areas outside of film. We’ve had graduate students with degrees in creative writing, economics, forensic anthropology, neuroscience, engineering, English, studio art, and Japanese among others. Many applicants do have experience or degrees in film, but it is not a requirement of our program.

Q: I’m interested in both the Production MFA program and the Screenwriting MFA program. Can I apply to both?

A: Yes. You can apply to be considered for both programs. To do so, you need to complete both applications in full including any applicable fees. We have two separate Admissions Committees, so you will be considered for each program separately. Be aware that the MFA in Production does require a separate

Q: I’ve been out of school for a number of years. OR I am applying to the MFA in Production while finishing my undergraduate degree.  Would I be a good candidate for the College?

A: The College cares less about how recently you earned your undergraduate degree and more about your life experiences, storytelling abilities, and passion for filmmaking. We have had successful candidates who have taken time off between applying to graduate programs or who applied straight from their undergraduate education, and both types of students have been successful in our program.

Q: Do I need to take the Graduate Record Examination (GRE)?

A: The GRE is required for the Screenwriting MFA program, but is NOT required for the Production MFA Program.

Q: I am an international applicant. Do I need to take an English proficiency examination?

A: In addition to all application requirements and required documentation, all applicants whose native language is not English are required to submit scores from the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL). We will accept IELTS scores as well, but the College prefers the TOEFL examination scores. The University requires an internet-based TOEFL score of 80 or an IELTS score 6.5. Florida State University’s institutional code is 5219. A English proficiency examination may be waived if the applicant has earned a bachelor’s degree at an institution where English is the primary language of instruction.

Q: I completed my undergraduate degree at Florida State University. Do I still need to submit my transcripts with my application?

A: If you have earned your degree at Florida State University or will earn a degree by your program’s start date, you do not need to submit your official transcript to the University. You do still need to upload an unofficial transcript in the application system for review. The unofficial transcript is available via

Q: I don’t have any film experience. Can I still apply to the College of Motion Picture Arts?
A: Film experience is not required for any of our applicants. While it is always good to see some film experience as part of the application, if accepted into the program, we can teach you the technology, theory, and software that you need know to be successful.  We are looking for applicants who are passionate about film and storytelling regardless of previous experience.
Q: Do I have to submit a film for the Creative Portfolio requirement?
A: No. Feel free to submit something other than a film if you’ve never made a film before. We accept all types of creative submissions including photography, drawing, animation, storyboarding, sculpture, set design, short stories, poems, graphic arts, or any combination thereof. Submit what showcases you as a storyteller.
Q: I’ve submitted my application to the College of Motion Picture Arts but realize now that I would like to change something. How can I do this?
A: You can view and edit documents yourself up until the time of submission. Once you submit your application to the College of Motion Picture Arts, you need to email to make any changes.
Q: What file format should I be submitting my required documents in for the College of Motion Picture Arts supplemental application?
A: The application will accept Word or PDF documents for the Resume, Statement, Writing Sample, and optional Assistantship Letter (MFA only). The Creative Portfolio and Video Pitch (MFA only) should be submitted in the form of a URL.
Q: How and what can I submit for the Creative Portfolio?
A: You can submit any of the following or a combination for your Creative Portfolio:
  • Film, video, animation, documentary, or experimental work of up to ten minutes total running time. Submissions can consist of a demo reel, short film, or clips from a longer film. Please be clear about your specific contribution to each project.
  • Photographs, drawings, paintings, sculpture, graphic art, costume, or set design that illustrates your creative vision and style. Limited to 15 pieces total.
  • A sequence of 10-15 images that explores your visual storytelling. These images can be drawings or photographs in the form of a storyboard.
  • Creative writing sample composed of a narrative short story, poem, script, or play. Writing samples should be in standard 12pt. font, single-spaced, and not exceed 3 pages.
Creative submissions should be uploaded in the form of a single URL to a personal website or a trusted third-party site. A third-party site is a website that is not owned by you. An example of this is Vimeo, Youtube, Flickr, Facebook, Deviant Art, etc.
Q: Can I use copyrighted material in the video I submit for my Creative Portfolio?
A: Please do not use copyrighted material in your Creative Portfolio. Doing so might cause the removal of your work from the website you have uploaded the video to, and we would prefer to see work that is original to you.
Q: I worked on a film with someone else. Can I submit this film as part of my Creative Portfolio?
A: Yes. Film is a collaborative enterprise in many ways, so it is very common to have multiple people work on a project. We do ask that you be clear about your specific contribution to the each project submitted. Please indicate your role on the film in accompanying text or within the clip itself, and only submit a film in which you had a major creative role in.
Q: Who should I ask to write a letter of recommendation for me?
A: Your recommender can include a teacher, professor, guidance counselor, mentor, employer, or someone you’ve worked with on a creative project. The recommender should be able to speak to your ability to succeed in our program and your passion for storytelling. We do ask that no close family members write a letter of recommendation for you.
Q:  How can I change the contact information for my recommenders?
A: Before you submit your application, you can simply log back into the application system and edit your recommender's information or resend the email invitation to submit a letter of recommendation. Be aware that many times this email request does go into a spam folder, so please have your recommender check a clutter or spam folder before resending another email request.

If you have already submitted your application, email to make any changes to your recommenders. If you submit your application before all of your letters of recommendation have been received, you are able to view the status of your letters after submission. If the status for the letter is “Pending,” we still have not received that letter. If the status is “Complete,” we have received that letter from that recommender.
Q: How can I check the status of my application?
A: You may check the status of your College of Motion Picture Arts application at any time simply by logging into your application. You may upload or edit materials until you click “Submit Application.” If you would like to submit further materials after this time but before the application deadline, you may send them to us via email at
Letters of Recommendation may continue to arrive after the application has been submitted. You can log in to see if they have been received. If your recommender is having difficulty using our online form, they may choose to simply email us a letter of recommendation to